Our world is becoming a global village. Boundaries once defined by geography, culture and history are fast disintegrating. Pakistan is no exception nor is it invulnerable to this change. In fact it has benefitted immensely and is rapidly emerging as a power on this new world stage.
The changes are best represented by the explosive growth of the knowledge of new technologies i.e GIS and Remote Sensing that knows no borders. This new age of science and technology needs to be sustained by a highly educated, internationally competent and mobile workforce. Therefore education and training, today, has to be aligned and geared to meet these remarkable challenges.
We as educators have the responsibility to educate and train the mankind to compete in an inter-linked and borderless world. We have to equip them with the knowledge, understanding and other tools that drive and fuel global technological change.
Many, Pakistani students continue to travel abroad to acquire quality higher education and a competitive edge on the international market. There are also many who are unable to embark for international travelling due to resource limitations but still aspire to get an internationally recognized quality education here in GC University Faisalabad, Pakistan.
Department of Geography at GC University Faisalabad is establishing linkages with world renowned Geography Department of different Universities like Salzburg University Austria, Fraser Valley University BC, Canada and Thompson Rivers University Kamloops BC, Canada. Department of Geography is soon entered into collaboration and finalizes MoUs with above mentioned Universities.
I welcome you to Department of Geography at GC University Faisalabad and assure you that you will have the best facilities, resources and eminent teaching faculty to help you fulfill your dreams.
Department of Geography
The vision of the Department is to help students make sense of their surroundings and the wider world and focus on both physical and human aspects of geography.
The mission of the Department of Geography is to ensure objective study of places, the human and physical processes that shape them and the people who live in them.
Geography is an exciting and challenging scientific study of man’s interaction with his environment. The major thrust in Geography is based on three distinct but interrelated traditions i.e. an earth science tradition, a location tradition and an area analysis tradition.
Geographers study the natural processes of the physical environment, as well as the activities and consequences of humans in the environments in difffernet regions. Some geographers specialize in coastal, glacial or fluvial processes and landforms, climatology, biogeography, hydrology or environmental change while others study regional economics, population change, and the problems of rural or urban areas. Specialization in spatial analysis brings the power of geographic information science to bear on a wide range of research problems. Increasingly, these varied interests are coming together in the study of environmental problems and Geographers lead the way in resource management.
Geography teaches students valuable skills such as spatial data analysis and geographical information systems, landform and hydrological interpretation, introduction to population and economic statistics, computing skills, field skills and ethics. The development of good anlaytical and reporting skills train students in their application in real world situations. It is a job and research-oriented discipline. Courses have been designed as such to include not only theoretical knowledge but also to instill the empirical use of this knowledge. The present faculty is working diligently to promote this discipline on modern lines. Specifically the focus is on introduction of Research-Oriented modules and Geographic Information System (GIS).
Facilities at the Department
- Cartographic Lab
- Surveying Lab
- Computer Lab
- G PS / Total Station
- Library with the latest books and research journals
- GIS Softwares (Arc View 3.2, ArcGIS 9.2, Object Land, Canvas GIS)
- Digital Cartography Softwares (Versa Map, Map Pro, Macromedia Free Hand)
- Internet connectivi
What you will learn
- Effective research techniques through field work
- Physical landscape interpretation and landform reconstruction.
- Weather monitoring and analysis.
- GPS field mapping of landforms and air photo analysis.
- Mapping and analyzing information using GIS.
- Cartography and geo-visualization.
- Demographic and economic analysis.
- Spatial data analysis.
GEOGRAPHY: A JOB ORIENTED DISCIPLINE
Earth science tradition
- Environmental studies
- Hydro Geography
- Soil Geography
- Plant Geography
- Industrial Geography
- Population Geography
- Urban Geography
- Geography of Recreation &Tourism
- Transportation Geography
- Medical Geography
- Regional Planning and Development
- Geographic Information System
- Remote Sensing
- Digital Mapping
- Global Positioning System
Research Work/ Training
- Research Methods
- Quantitative Techniques In Research
- Survey Research Report
- Research Projects
- Jobs in Research and Planning Organizations
- Jobs in Environmental Organizations
- Jobs in Market Oriented Research Projects
- Jobs in Various International Organizations UNFPA, UNICEF, UNESCO, UNDP, Etc.
- Jobs in NIPS National Institute of Population Studies
- Population Census Organizations
- Jobs through Competitive Examinations
- Armed Forces
- Weather Forecasting / Meteorological Office
- Jobs in Survey of Pakistan
- Jobs in Various Non Governmental Organization.