To provide the highest quality educational experiences for the students, incorporating cutting edge research information with the fundamental knowledge and skills needed by nutrition professionals of the future. The mission of the Nutritional Sciences Department is to prepare competent scientific workforce who will contribute towards the enhancement of general population’s health through provision of proper nutritional education and counseling, while demonstrating ethical standards. The department provides students with high quality education and supervised practical experience. In addition students are provided with opportunities for research, community service, and life-long learning.
The Mission of the Department of Nutritional Sciences is to improve human health by:
- Contributing to the fundamental knowledge of how nutrients and food components function at cellular, systematic, and whole body levels and impact human health and disease.
- Delivering innovative, research-based interventions and service programs which alter meal patterns and food choices with the goal of improved health of individuals, families, and communities.
- Contributing to the knowledge-base of nutrition undergraduate and graduate students through high quality teaching, training, and research mentorship.
- Providing service to professional, governmental, and local community organizations.
- Playing radical role in devising national nutrition policies for streamlining the pre-existed nutrition laws in the community.
- Developing globally competitive human resource to address emerging challenges in nutritional sciences.
- Promote the translation of nutrition research to health and quality of life.
- Target health research in life style and metabolic related disorders and role of bioactive food components in mitigating these ailments.
- Develop nutrition interventions and education programs tailored for high risk populations that experience health disparities.
- Incorporate coursework and research activities to develop skills in team building, cooperative learning, and problem solving.
- Involve all students in using the latest technology in their research and course-work.
- Incorporate capstone experiences to develop critical thinking and the ability to apply nutrition skills and knowledge that address global nutrition issues.
- Develop professionals with tools that allow students to access credible information and understand how to translate and communicate emerging nutrition knowledge to the public and other professionals.
The degree of Human Nutrition and Dietetics had been running under Institute of Home and Food Sciences since 2014, however keeping in view its growing demand and prominence an independent department of Nutritional Sciences was established on 4th November, 2020 as an emerging subdivision of Faculty of Medical Sciences at Government College University Faisalabad. The department is determined to uphold the vision of Prime Minister of Pakistan to combat stunting and malnutrition in nutritionally compromised segments of Pakistan and will operate hand in glove with the National Nutrition Coordination Council. The outstanding faculty, state-of-the-art building and laboratory facilities, friendly and dedicated staff members make the Department a pleasant place to study and conduct research. The curriculum of nutritional sciences is being taught in BS Human Nutrition and Dietetics (HND) programs offered in 22 colleges affiliated with the Department of Nutritional Sciences all around Punjab province. The nutrition curriculum prepares students to be leaders in the next generation of nutrition scientists, public health and clinical nutrition practitioners. The HND program promotes personal scholarship and academic growth, lifelong learning skills, and mastery of core knowledge in nutrition and life sciences. Our undergraduate students enjoy hands-on skills with real-world applications; friendly atmosphere; world-class internship experiences in collaboration with international institutions like:
- Riphah International University, Islamabad
- Shifa International Hospital, Faisalabad
- Fatima Memorial Hospital, Lahore
- Gulab Devi Hospital, Lahore
- Aziz Fatimah Hospital, Faisalabad
- DHQ Hospital, Faisalabad
- Allied Hospital, Faisalabad