Scheme of Studies
To integrate modern teaching and learning methods in the curriculum to provide training to students in interdisciplinary programmes for the academics and industries.
To provide nurturing and conducive environment for imparting skill in basic and applied chemistry. The Department of Applied chemistry is responding to the needs of chemical industries by preparing skilled manpower.
- To produce applied chemists who can efficiently manage the working of industries and be able to motivate and adopt new technologies to meet the international standards
- To produce students who are confident of applying the knowledge of chemistry and skills which they ac-quire in understanding the problems of the local industry and the world at large. Thereby making useful contributions towards resolving industry linked problems.
- To produce chemists who can work as quality control managers (from raw material and intermediate product to final product) in every sector of the industry.
- To provide skill in handling chemicals, managing chemical laboratories and scientific instruments.
Government College University is situated in the center of Faisalabad which is the hub of the textile industry because of its vast industrial network and textile based structure. More than 500 textile units in the city are utilizing chemistry to manufacture value added products according to world standards. In addition to textile sector, Faisalabad is also well known for different industries; such as paints, pigments, dyes, sugar, fertilizer, pharmaceutical, foods, oils and fats, soaps and detergents. Keeping in view the industrial need for highly qualified, skilled, visionary and trained manpower that could meet international standards, the Department of Applied Chemistry was established at the Government College University Faisalabad in 2004 to meet industrial challenges. The faculty of the Department is strolling hard with full devotion and dedication to produce dynamic students of high calibre with clear cut aims and market oriented objectives. The idea behind these activities is to train students as entrepreneurs for creating the opportunity rather than to look for the jobs.
Department of Applied Chemistry has established working research collaboration with industry such as paints, pigments, dyes, sugar, fertilizer, pharmaceutical, foods, oils and fats, soaps and detergents. All faculty members of Applied Chemistry are working on different projects funded by HEC out of these eight are NRPU research grants. Moreover, our faculty members have also won research grants from international research organizations such as ISF, ISESCO and UNESCO/IUPAC project for green chemistry. The department of Applied Chemistry organizes International conferences, workshops, symposia and hand on trainings for students, staff and faculty members wherein eminent scientists of international fame are often invited for delivering instructions. The Department of Applied Chemistry is not only progressing in research activities but also has success stories in Business and won prizes in Business Incubation Centre, other interdepartmental and sports competitions. The Department of Applied Chemistry is also enhancing its activities by launching different short courses and Associate Degree Programs which are designed in collaboration with the Chamber of Commerce and Industries of Faisalabad.
The different areas are: Textile Industries
- Natural Product Isolation
- Natural and Synthetic Polymers
- Polymer composite materials
- Paints and Coatings
- Adhesives and Sealants
- Pharmaceuticals and Nutraceuticals
- Natural and Synthetic Rubber
- Dyes and Pigments
- Oils and Fats Industries